What ya watched lately? : THE MOVIE THREAD

Discussion in 'Arsenal Off Topic' started by goonermaui, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    This.

Thumbs up.

2. Publius

Publius Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    I've been catching up on classic Westerns through Netflix to finally see all those movies I should have seen ages ago.

I like John Wayne, but my wife struggles to make it through any of his movies. Because of her opposition, I still haven't made my way through John Ford's cavalry trilogy, although I generally find Ford's attempts at comic relief through the shenanigans of drunken Irish-American soldiers tiresome.

"Unforgiven" is a great film but my short list of favorite Westerns is:

"The Wild Bunch"
    "Once Upon A Time In The West"
    "For A Few Dollars More"
    "The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford"

The first three are fairly obvious choices but "Jesse James" just struck me. It's weirdly dreamlike, molasses-paced and long and I wouldn't have minded had it been an hour longer. Brad Pitt's performance is just incredible.
  3. antifan

antifan Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Unforgiven is overrated. It's two hours of boring crap, then a half hour of greatness.

Never been a fan of westerns, but my favorites are "Outlaw Josey Wales" and "Tombstone".

For those that like the slow and thoughtful ones, Ang Lee's "Ride with the Devil" is worth a watch.
  4. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I can't stand John Wayne and it has nothing to do with him personally. He hams it up too much for me. The only thing I could stomach him in was Stagecoach.

That's a solid list. The Jesse James movie is great and a modern classic. My favorite modern western would be Open Range.

My top western movies would be:
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
    Open Range
    Giant
    The Ox-Bow Incident
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    Shane

5. antifan

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Giant? Does that count as a "western"?
  6. Catfish

Catfish Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England
    Val Kilmer made it for me in Tombstone, excellent character.
  7. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    It's not a traditional western but it fits in the one or more of the sub-categories like an epic western or contemporary western.

Now that I think about it, my favorite modern western or neo-western would be No Country for Old Men. Many won't think of it as a western but all the western elements are there.

Another neo-western that is really good is The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. It came out in 2005 and stars Tommy Lee Jones whom also directed it. Solid movie.
  8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Yep, forgot to add this one. It's very slow-paced but I loved it.

Also have you ever seen Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man with Johnny Depp. Talk about a "weirdly dreamlike" western....I liked it, but I wouldn't rank it as one of my favorites.
  9. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I'm with you. I liked it but wouldn't rate it that highly. There's a few times it's a bit goofy or over the top for me but that's Jim Jarmusch. I have the same feeling with Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai. My favorite Jarmusch is Broken Flowers.
  10. Catfish

Catfish Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England
    I just watched this, been running since I was 13 and always wanted to complete
    a marathon:

[​IMG]
  11. KirbyNYC

KirbyNYC Member

Absolutely agree. His Doc Holliday is still one of my favorite portrayals.

"I'm your huckleberry..."

[​IMG]
  12. yossarian

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Mine is Night on Earth.
  13. Romfordray

Romfordray Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    If you like campy spaghetti westerns then check out Django..
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA0EUIKKgec"]Django (1966) - Original Trailer - YouTube[/ame]
  14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England
    can't beat clint for me

fistfull of dollars, a few dollars more, good the bad and the ugly, high plains drifter, unforgiven

still need to watch the jesse james brad pitt one, re watch tombstone (saw it as a kid) and once apon a time in the west

i enjoyed true grit too
  15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England
    can't beat clint for me

fistfull of dollars, a few dollars more, good the bad and the ugly, high plains drifter, unforgiven

still need to watch the jesse james brad pitt one, re watch tombstone (saw it as a kid) and once apon a time in the west

i enjoyed true grit too
  16. Catfish

Catfish Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England
    I love CLINT, too. John Wayne was just 1st experience, but Clint was
    the man, even though "spaghetti westerns" were often silly.

Just saw this documentary:
    Sir, No Sir
    [​IMG]

P.S. I'm an ARMY VETERAN that was against the IRAQ
    WAR from go; many neighbors and friends said I was
    a traitor or not patriotic.
  17. antifan

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Did any of them volunteer to go to Iraq?
  18. Catfish

Catfish Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England
    None of them ever served in the military and I find most
    people who are very PRO-WAR do not serve.
  19. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sorry to sidetrack here but letting you know "Before Watchmen" the Watchmen prequel has just been announced.

About a month ago, we asked the question, Is It Time For More Watchmen? According to DC Comics, it seems the answer is a resounding "yes."

The longtime rumors of a Watchmen 2 project were confirmed by DC simultaneously via their blog The Source and USA Today. The project, as expected, has zero involvement from original Watchmen creators Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, but does feature a multitude of the industry's best creative talent. The title of the project is officially "Before Watchmen" and will consist of 7 mini-series of various lengths, all inter-connected and set in the time before the original story.

The announced books are:

RORSCHACH (4 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: Lee Bermejo

MINUTEMEN (6 issues) – Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke

COMEDIAN (6 issues) – Writer: Brian Azzarello. Artist: J.G. Jones

DR. MANHATTAN (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artist: Adam Hughes

NITE OWL (4 issues) – Writer: J. Michael Straczynski. Artists: Andy and Joe Kubert

OZYMANDIAS (6 issues) – Writer: Len Wein. Artist: Jae Lee

SILK SPECTRE (4 issues) – Writer: Darwyn Cooke. Artist: Amanda Conner

"It's our responsibility as publishers to find new ways to keep all of our characters relevant," said DC Entertainment Co-Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee. "After twenty five years, the Watchmen are classic characters whose time has come for new stories to be told. We sought out the best writers and artists in the industry to build on the complex mythology of the original."

There will be one new issue a week, each featuring a two-page back-up called The Curse of the Crimson Corsair, written by Len Wein with art by John Higgins. There will also be a Before Watchmen: Epilogue one-shot. No official launch date was given other than "this summer."

Gibbons told The Source, "The original series of Watchmen is the complete story that Alan Moore and I wanted to tell. However, I appreciate DC's reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire."

"Comic books are perhaps the largest and longest running form of collaborative fiction," added DiDio and Lee. "Collaborative storytelling is what keeps these fictional universes current and relevant."

For his part, Azzarello spoke to USA Today about Rorschach, saying, "He's the face. The guy who covers his face is the face of the franchise. You're going to get the Rorschach that you know and want. It's a very visceral story we're going to be telling."

The announcement is going to be quite controversial amongst comics fans, with Watchmen being almost universally hailed as not only one of the greatest superhero comics of all time, but an untouchable piece of literature. While the characters are indeed owned by DC Comics and not Moore and Gibbons, the debate over the integrity of revisiting these characters without Moore's involvement will likely rage eternally.

Whatever your thoughts, Watchmen 2 is a go. Just as DC Comics did when they announced their relaunch last summer, they have proven they are willing to do whatever it takes to go the distance.

Update: The New York Times got a comment from Alan Moore, who was, to say the least, less than pleased with the news. "I tend to take this latest development as a kind of eager confirmation that they are still apparently dependent on ideas that I had 25 years ago."

He continued, "I don't want money. What I want is for this not to happen. As far as I know, there weren't that many prequels or sequels to Moby Dick."

DC revealed some covers to the various series through outlets across the web in addition to the ones listed above, including Wired, LA Times, THR, EW, CBR and the AP.
  20. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    But they pay taxes. :D
  21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England
    pro war people are generally dumbasses who will never experience the situation first hand

if u arewere/ in the militiary and they have never served, how the fcuk can they call u un-patriotic? that deserves a slap in the face
  22. Catfish

Catfish Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England
    Finally saw this, not bad, nor amazing. I was entertained:

[​IMG]
  23. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    just saw Babel.

It's good and many of the visuals are amazing (Japan particularly), but it always manages to keep you at a distance which keeps it from being something special in any way.

Sort of disappointing actually.
  24. yossarian

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    This isn't meant to be a snide remark at all, but I've noticed a bit of an undercurrent to your posts about films, i.e., you don't seem to like those (or like less) in which you can't "connect" with the characters? Is that accurate?
  25. Frankgarrison

Frankgarrison Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This @#$@#$ @#$@#$@#$ing @#$@#$ of a #$@#$ is, presumably, still here

[​IMG]

despite his pledge:

"And I gladly stand up,
    next to you and defend her still today.
    ‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land,
    God bless the USA."

As David Cross commented: "Well, go grab a gun, @#$#@#@!."