What ya watched lately? : THE MOVIE THREAD

Discussion in 'Arsenal Off Topic' started by goonermaui, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Publius

Publius Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    They play that Lee Greenwood song before every Ravens game. It just galls me that people stand for it and treat it as if it were the national anthem.

2. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    That reminds me of a scene in (500) Days of Summer where a drunk guy is singing that song at a karaoke bar. :D
  3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England
    Not to go off on a rant, but after 9/11, I think some people just went
    uber-patriotic.

Back to films, what have you recently seen in the theaters? Having
    2 daughters and limited free time, need to be selective on going
    out to the movies. Thanks.
  4. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I'm heading to a film festival in a few hours. They are playing six films throughout the weekend: Incendies, Sarah's Key, The Colors of the Mountain, Submarine, A Small Act, and Circumstance. I plan on seeing them all.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England
    I'm jealous, always wanted to visit a film festival.
  6. Romfordray

Romfordray Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    You mean the Japanese "hairy monster" :) ? I like Babel a lot.
  7. Publius

Publius Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    I came home last night and my wife was watching "Groundhog Day" on cable. I had forgotten just how good that movie is.
  8. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Sadly, I can now say I've seen that fool live; he performed at halftime during the Army-Navy Game. His eyes were red and puffy; I'm not sure if it was because he was crying because he had to sing this song for the eleventy-billionth time coupled with the knowledge that no one gives a good goddamn about the rest of his catalogue, or because he had been drinking. Probably both, to be fair.

I think H.L. Mencken put it best: "In the United States, doing good has come to be, like patriotism, a favorite device of persons with something to sell."
  9. Cannon

Cannon Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Anyone want to suggest some indie, foreign (to the US), or just not that well known scifi movies that are pretty good? I've seen pretty much every mainstream scifi movie and quite a few not so well known ones. The "scifi"-ness of the movie can be broad but I've got little interest in fantasy movies that often get lumped in with scifi (although I liked Troll Hunter which I saw recently). My netflix suggestions for scifi are a mix of well known movies I've seen a dozen times, lesser known ones I've seen twice, and a bunch of fantasy that bore me to death so I'm looking for some that I might have missed.

Here are some movies that aren't very well known that I liked:
    Primer, The Man from Earth, Timecrimes, Attack the Block, Cube, Altered, Hardware, The Blood of Heroes, Blake's 7, Lexx, Silent Running, Monsters, Zardoz, Scanners, Split Second, Alien Raiders, Seconds, Lifeforce, Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel, From Beyond, Fantastic Planet, Moon, Colossus:The Forbin Project, Screamers, Tripods (although it didn't end up being as good as I remembered as a kid), Dead Leaves, The Quiet Earth, Hanger 18, Phase IV (the ant one), Until the End of the World
    I know some of those aren't amazing or might fit another genre better but my point is that if the movie you recommend is at least as good as one of those and "scifi-y" then I'd like to hear about it. I left off anything that everybody has seen like Blade Runner, Alien, 2001, or the Matrix or even old films that are very well known like the original Metropolis, Forbidden Planet, the good Day The Earth Stood Still, and the Andromeda Strain. I also skipped all the scifi anime I've seen since I'm not really looking for that.

Here are some of the ones I know about and plan on checking out already: Kin-Dza-Dza, Triangle, A Topiary whenever it comes out, Stalker, Cypher, Space Island One, Returner, Inhabited Island, The Lathe of Heaven (the late 70s-early 80s one), Terminal Invasion (based on Bruce Campbell alone), original Tomorrow People, Avalon, Alphaville, the Last Battle, and Dark City which I've started watching a few times but never finished. I just started watching Black Lightning which is really more of a superhero story and so far a bit disappointing.

Anybody see Happy Accidents? Is this a movie with enough thought provoking time travel stuff for me to tolerate the rom com stuff so that I can sit and watch it with my wife? Anyone seen Genius Party or Genius Party Beyond?
  10. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I guess that's correct.

I can't wait for your response. I understand it's not meant to be a shot, but is there something you're getting at? I'm curious.
  11. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    lol

The japanese part of the film might have been my favorite.
  12. antifan

antifan Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Did you see District 9?
  13. Publius

Publius Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    I saw Incendies last night.

I found the shock ending a bit contrived and while it's fairly obvious the movie is based on the Lebanese Civil War it is deliberately vague about when and where the events depicted are supposed to take place in such a way that it actually weakens the film.

It's a well made film but I found the whole plot forced.
  14. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    The Host (2006): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468492/ This is a great Korean sci-fi film. I highly recommend it for that genre.

Melancholia (2011): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527186/ Excellent movie. One of the best of 2011 for me but it's odd.

Rubber (2010): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/ I don't know if this fits or not. It's weird and quirky but I cracked up watching it. It's more of a comedy than anything. It's not rated that high, so you may not like it.

The Fountain (2006): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414993/ Great movie. It has a romantic twist but it's definitely sci-fi.

9 (2009): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472033/

1984 (1984): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087803/

Metropolis (1927): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0017136/ This is a bit different because it is a silent, but it's one of the best movies I have ever seen.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338013/ This is also different because it's largely romantic. I don't know if this is popular or rare.

Blindness (2008): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0861689/ It's not that great but I enjoyed it. I don't know if this is rare or not either.
  15. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I watched it last night as well and loved it. I didn't get a feeling that it was contrived at all. I see where you're coming from but it fits into the goal of the film and the final message it was trying to get across.

It was very powerful to me, especially due to the use of chopped time frames that controlled what information was being let out and when.
  16. Cannon

Cannon Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Yes saw it and liked it. Just left it off since I thought it was too well known. I tried to list movies and shows that didn't get that popular. I'm sure I've put some popular ones in but its the less well known ones that I've missed that I'm looking for.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I've seen all of those except Melancholia and Rubber. Host was a fun monster flick. Melancholia looks quite odd and I'm not sure if it is my cup of tea. I've liked some of Lars von Trier's films (The Boss of It All is a great comedy) but hated others. The vibe I get from the reviews makes this one look much more like the ones I didn't like. How similar is it to his "Antichrist" which is the one von Trier film I most wish I had skipped?

Rubber is on cable now so I'll give it a look. The Fountain did nothing for me really even though I've liked Aronofsky's other films that I've seen. It was just a bit too abstract and maybe too pretentious for me. Pretty and not as deep as it thinks it is but my wife liked it. 9 was another pretty but not too deep one but I enjoyed it. 1984 is a classic as is Metropolis (which I thought I mentioned). Both are great and should be seen by everyone. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind doesn't reach that level but it is certainly a decent movie and one where the memory games raise it above the usual romcom level even if I do think its a bit overrated. I agree with what you said about Blindness. Not great but I enjoyed it.
  17. antifan

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    So you're looking for some really obscure sci-fi flicks, huh? Sorry can't help you, District 9 and Sunshine are the only ones i've seen lately. Don't really watch a lot of movies anymore.
  18. Catfish

Catfish Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England
    After last weekend seeing so many of his paintings in the
    Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC.
    Our family just watched it this morning before the match:

[​IMG]
  19. Cannon

Cannon Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Yeah the whole reason for my original post is that I've run out of new scifi movies to watch. I've seen pretty much all the popular ones especially every one made since I was born, most of the classics going back to Metropolis and Things to Come, and some foreign ones but this is where I'm likely missing many great films. Sunshine was ok although I thought it started better than it ended (excluding the whole premise for the mission which was just silly). The images stuck with me though. Thank god for Netflix streaming which lets me do things like watch early 70s East German space travel films when I can't sleep at 3AM. :D
  20. antifan

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    An old one i caught lately was "Island of Lost Souls", the 30s adaptation of Island of Dr. Moreau. It's more horror than Sci-Fi, but it's a good flick.
  21. Boogie_Down

Boogie_Down Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    I haven't seen Antichrist yet and I'm not in a hurry. I know a lot about it and I'm not into being grossed out. My guess is that Melancholia is nothing like Antichrist. Give Melancholia a shot. It's great sci-fi with a dramatic twist. The pacing is slow though, kind of similar to Tree of Life.

Rubber isn't that great. It's not to be taken seriously. But if viewed through comedic eyes, I think it's hilarious.
  22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    :D

No Socratic trap intended...just curious.
  23. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Just watched If.... last night. If someone could please explain to me wtf I just watched, it would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]
  24. Catfish

Catfish Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    England
    Jamooky,

I really enjoy and seek out, Criterion films. Love the extras
    and usually entertain/inspire and push my creative boundaries.

=============

Cannon,

I know you mentioned German/East German/older sci-fi; this
    film was excellent. It's Japanese, but loved the themes
    (identity/self/doppelgangers)

[​IMG]
  25. Cannon

Cannon Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United States
    Agreed. I watched that on TCM recently after not seeing it in years. Did you know that it was banned in the UK?
    "What is the law?" and then "Are we not men?" Awesome.
    Yeah I'd certainly suggest skipping Antichrist(o). I hated it. I'll give both your suggestions a try. Rubber is set to record on my DVR. I'll have to track down the other one.
    Sounds good. Reminds me a bit of other movies where a disfigured face plays a big part like Eyes Without a Face, Abominable Dr. Phibes, and Mr. Sardonicus. Those are the ones that most people might not have seen. Then there are the popular ones Phantom of the Opera, Open Your Eyes/Vanilla Sky, Darkman, Nightmare on Elm Street, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame although there obviously he has other issues.;) The 1930s version of the Invisible Man also plays with this theme and is well worth a look. There is a crazy Argentinian movie with mad doctor/scientist where a disfigured face is key but I can't remember the name.