1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

Why do they water the pitch before the game?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by rymannryan, Jan 26, 2003.

1. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

I've heard about this being done throughout England. Why?

2. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

To state this a little more clearly, why do they do it the day of a game. A few hours before the game, what's the point in watering it?

3. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

United States
    Re: Re: Why do they water the pitch before the game?

I can't answer for England but I do know that it is done sometimes to keep down the amount of "dust" and dirt from coming up from the pitch during play.
    There may be other reasons and I really can't answer for some other more important reason there may be.
    I'm sure someone knows.

4. DAKCrew

DAKCrew New Member

Re: Re: Re: Why do they water the pitch before the game?

I worked on the grounds at Columbus Crew Stadium and I think a lot of it has to do with traction for the players and also the dryer the grass is the easier it is to come up.

5. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Club:
    DC United
    United States
    its not really watering them, more like spraying them.. its not enought to make the pitch soppy, just to get it wet and damp under the surface...

6. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

Club:
    Reading FC
    England
    A lot of players prefer a slightly wet surface as apparently it makes it easier to zip passes about.

I was in Copenhagen in the summer and I went to the Brondby v Dinamo Tirane Champions League qualifying match. With about a minute to go something went wrong with one of the hoses and it started firing a 50 ft jet of water over one end of the field. Some poor steward got absolutely soaked as he tried helplessly to stem the flow of water, including oen eye-wateringly cold burst right up his trouser leg as he tried stopping it with his foot.

7. gwebster

gwebster New Member

Sometimes they "water" the pitch for different reasons (see DeMarcus Beasley).

8. zoomery

zoomery New Member

I believe they're trying to get the idea moiture level on the pitch. Ground is not too hard nor sloppy. And proper moiturizing of the surfaces of the ball and the boots gives player better control. Try spraying water on your own boots when playing on a very dry day and you'll know what I mean.

9. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    United States
    For the record, groundscrew do this all the time in pointyball and baseball (hockey too)

10. pololo

pololo Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Chile
    Cause the Englishmen likes too play in wet grass.
    They are used too it since it rains all the time.
    Why you think the ball spins faster in Premier League than others?
    Cause the wet grass helps the ball to spin faster when shooting.

11. darrenjolley

darrenjolley Member

Watering the pitch:

I believe it has something to do with ensuring the grass keeps green. I think players do not like a bone hard pitch as this can be dangerous - which is why Malta were always in trouble with UEFA for the dreadful state of the pitches there some years ago. I remember a few years ago when there was a live game on TV (I think it was at Hillsborough) and the sprinklers were on before the game whilst there was a torrential downpour!

12. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    England
    Re: Re: Why do they water the pitch before the game?

Wahay! We have a comedian in our midst!

Watering the pitch is common round the world. As to why the ball zips faster in England than anywhere else, its because the games faster.

I could have a dig at grounds in Sweden, but that would be cheap, and since I am above that...

13. pololo

pololo Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Chile
    Re: Re: Re: Why do they water the pitch before the game?

No in other parts of the world prefers too play in dry grass,they just water it when it need's so that the grass won't die out.

14. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Slide tackles on wet grass are far less painful than on dry ground...

15. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

Club:
    Manchester United FC
    England
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Why do they water the pitch before the game?

Which is why I have seen them water the pitch before games in the Netherlands, again, in France, and in Germany.

Besides, the pitches in England are not watered right before the game. If you did that, the water would sit on the surface, and allow people to skid. It is watered game day, to soak in, to stop the earth from being rock-solid.

One last thing, wether or not a pitch is watered is not a national thing. Its down to the club. Some clubs water game day, some dont. For example, at United, they do. At Macclesfield Town, they dont.

I am now regretting getting into this conversation...