Winners and Losers after the Korea and Ukraine matches.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by TheHoustonHoyaFan, Mar 7, 2014.

1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

TheHoustonHoyaFan Member+

Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    United States
    Winners

Brek Shea: came in as a sub and immediately had a positive impact. Shea is making a very strong claim to the attacking sub role at WC2014.

Danny Williams: came in as a sub and also had immediate impact. Was very aggressive at attacking with the ball and played good defense. Eye catching return to the USMNT.

Graham Zusi: strong wide 2-way play cemented his claim as a potential starter at the big dance.

Wondo: 2 goals v Korea keeps him in the conversation

Losers

Sacha Kljestan: very good player but just not a fit with what the team needs. A terrible performance coupled with an eye-catching effort by DW pushes Sacha out to the fringe.

Edgar Castillo: undid the goodwill he earned with his attacking flair in his prior matches with a dreadful display v Ukraine. Still may make the 30 with good club performances the next 2 months.

Brad Davis: poor overall play v Korea pushes him to the fringe of the fringe. A strong performance v Mexico may keep him in the 30 for camp.

Brad Evans: likely lost his slot at RB with his Korea performance. How far could he fall given Parkhurst's strong performance at LB in that same match?

Hold

Gooch: when the staff reviews the tape for individual performances Gucci played good 1v1, was a physical handful in the aeriel game, played the ball out the back very well, was composed on the ball and still displayed that 'nasty' attitude. JK loves nasty and the lack of a 'nasty' attitude is one reason for him not yet all in on the Besler/Gonzalez pairing.

Puzzles

AJ: other than his wide open volley did nothing to distinguish himself as an attacking sub. Did not add the spark, intensity, or aggressive attacking moments that one expects from a 65 sub, down a goal. Starting to look like he may be painted with the"soft" brush, similar to Mix during CC2013. Mix stepped it up after JK's call out so hopefully AJ will do the same.
    morange92, MPNumber9 and StlDon repped this.

2. FW__

FW__ Member+

Club:
    Manchester City FC
    United States
    Not really sure what anyone was expecting Aron to do with what was going on around him. I don't really see him as a guy who is going to take a game over. Ronaldo he is not. He will get his goals the way he almost got his goal on Wednesday. He's not going to win the ball at midfield, take on 6 guys in a Pele-esqe dribbling display and then score. He's going to find his spot and hit an amazing volley or be in the right place to finish a cross (if someone can actually get one in the box). He played 25 minutes after the game was basically over, should have scored, and looked fine in a match where most of the of US looked disinterested.
    ckl26 and truefan420 repped this.
  3. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Exactly. The guy was in a match where he was barely given any time to get himself integrated in addition to us playing extremely poor as is when he was in for only 25 minutes. Yet the guy had the best chance of the night and had a volley which was a deserved goal. I'd give him a 6/10. I was not only impressed with that (also it was on his left foot)...but two other instances he had multiple Ukraine defenders on his back and he held the ball up very well. He doesn't see that sort of pressure all the time in the Eredivisie, but he handled it very well.
  4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    United States
    "Did not add the spark, intensity, or aggressive attacking moments that one expects from a 65 sub, down a goal"

That is just a strawman. No one expected that.

He came in at 63 with the US down 1 and dominating play since the start of the 2nd half. The game was not over. He did play like the game was over. JK is mister intensity and seizing the moment. AJ did neither and unfortunately for him the contrast with Shea, Williams, and even Juan as far as intensity, attacking intent, and determination was very very clear.

5. FW__

FW__ Member+

Club:
    Manchester City FC
    United States
    You're still missing my point. He's not a player who is going to come in and completely take over a game. That's not his game. That was my point by referencing Ronaldo. Also, he did add a spark by almost scoring, sorry it wasn't the spark you were looking for, but I still think it's unrealistic to expect him to completely change the face of the game. He came on in the 63 and they scored in the 68th. He was in for 5 minutes before they put the game away. Again, a little much to expect a sub to take command of the game in 5 minutes. As for your last comment, that's your opinion, I disagree.
    ckl26 repped this.
  6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Put AJ in the "plus" column the other day. Gooch is in the minus. Among other things, his play out of the back was poor.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown BigSoccer Yellow Card

Club:
    --other--
    Bedoya looked really good to me on Wednesday. I think he is going to be on the WC roster.
  8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    United States
    No one expects him to "completely take over a game". As a 63 min offensive sub he needs to provide some immediate offensive energy. He provided nothing.

He did not take on any defender on or try to unbalance Ukraine in any way, shape, or form. Every single time he got the ball he made a backward pass which did zero to help the USMNT attack. He is supposed to be a technical attacking forward, where was the technical attacking play when he got the ball? He ended the match with yet another back pass after getting the ball in the final 3rd. Please AJ, turnand take a defender on and make something happen.

AJ missed yet another chance to impress the staff. As I said puzzling.
  9. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Club:
    FC Bayern München
    We know you hate the kid, but he provided the best chance on goal in a mere 25 minutes of play. Of all rating services averaged he scored a 6 which was 2nd highest of the entire team.
    bornsteinforlife repped this.
  10. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    United States
    Sorry, I don't hate any of our players nor do I have a shrine to any of them. I'll leave that to people like you.

It is telling that all you can point to is is a nice volley off an over hit corner by Bedoya. As for best chance on goal, Jozy's header, Bedoya's blocked shot, and Jones' through ball to Dempsey were better chances for the MNT to score.

11. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Club:
    FC Bayern München
    No, none of those were on goal/required a save
  12. FW__

FW__ Member+

Club:
    Manchester City FC
    United States
    He provided the best scoring chance we had, and what should have been a goal. How is that nothing? Those other chances were not better chances. His was basically cleared off the line by a defender. Jozy's went over the bar. Bedoya's didn't require a save. He looked smooth other times on the ball. How is that nothing? No one is saying he made an amazing impact, but to say he added nothing is ridiculous.
    ckl26 repped this.
  13. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member

Club:
    Fulham FC
    United States
    I needed a good laugh this morning. Thanks, THHF...
    Berks and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    United States
    You only get points for that in rhythmic gymnastics and figure skating. ;)

Anyway I'm sure the staff is debating the same points after reviewing the tapes. We will see if there is a WC2014 camp invitation (assuming AJ keeps up his his club scoring) and if there is a statement from JK similar to ones in the past directed to Sacha and Mix.
  15. IndividualEleven

IndividualEleven Member+

South Korea:
    Help:
    Wondo, Davis: kept themselves firmly on the fringes of the picture.
    Zusi: cementing his role as a starter.
    Donovan: staying in the mix for shot at a starting berth
    Parkhurst: put himself firmly in the picture for the 23 by demonstrating versatility.

Ukraine
    Help:
    Castillo: actually defended quite well for a change.
    Gooch: Best performance since '09. reestablished himself on the fringes of the 23
    Bedoya: showed incredible motor and tactical nous, moving closer a first XI spot.
    Williams: reestablished himself as a top 23 player.
    Dempsey: showed energy not seen since May.
  16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

Club:
    Chelsea FC
    United States
    Haha what? He watched the attacker that scored on the first goal run in while he walked there. I would not call that defending well.

On a side note. Gooch wouldnt say he helped but he didn't hurt it either. He wasn't good. Saying his best performance since 09 doesn't mean much when he's sucked balls for some time now.
    SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  17. smokey

smokey Member

Haha what? The attacker on the first goal split Castillo and Brooks. Gooch was stepping up to pressure the ball as he should. Brooks was positioned way to close to Gooch and he also was not turning his head to monitor the weak side. By the time Gooch could react the guy was in on goal. Now if you want to criticize him for not having 4.5 40 speed then fine that's your choice. That 1st goal had nothing to do with Gooch.
  18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

Club:
    Chelsea FC
    United States
    No no my bad I should have spelled out Castillo for the first point. That's why I bolded his section. Gooch was an after though. Should have made that clear.
  19. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

#1 Feilhaber and Adu Member+

yeah but there is no substance here. His speed allows him to look good and dangerous but everybody quickly realizes you dont need to guard him once it becomes decision time. Plus, Brek got the minutes that Agudelo and Boyd should have gotten as they are both on the way up and Shea is on the way down (club-form wise).
    bornsteinforlife repped this.
  20. saxman

saxman Member

Castillo was just a few feet away from the scorer when the ball was played through. The distance was horizontal on the field as well, not vertical. And Castillo was flatfooted. The player took off and left Castillo in his dust. Castillo should have taken off back toward goal as soon as that ball was played and should have picked up that player immediately as well.

But what also gets me so dang irked all the time is defenders raising their arms for an offside. Brooks could have run back faster with his arms pumping by his side instead of trying to run with one arm in the air like he did. Officials never buy that crap. That's a matter of simple discipline.
  21. IndividualEleven

IndividualEleven Member+

The goal was caused due to a lack pressure in midfield. If you play up field you must pressure. Basic modern football.
    MPNumber9 repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Since it's opposite day, let me say that Brooks and Gooch should be our CB pair in Brazil.
  23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

Club:
    Chelsea FC
    United States
    He did no favors by not falling his mark. Because it was his mark that scored. Watch the replay. Howard makes the save. The forward has the ball, Howard scrambling in front, brooks in goal. The forward that scores comes from the left and its castillos man and he just slowly jogs while that guy runs. The forward with the ball plays a square pass to him and he finishes.

The goal isn't all on Castillo. But that's very bad d on his part.
    TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  24. IndividualEleven

IndividualEleven Member+

You're dealing in hypotheticals. The play was already busted as were a number of others due to the midfield play. The teams of Group G have the players who don't on average get stuffed like that on breakaways. Against the US Ghana has scored two goals off midfield mistakes over the past two Cups. That's not hypothetical.
  25. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    United States
    We were in contain not high press. The ball was in the opponent's half and we had setup compact 2 banks of 4. What specifically should the midfield have done different?