1. Save 40-80% on great soccer jerseys. Shop today at BigSoccer Shop!

World Cup Travel - Belo Horizonte

Discussion in 'WC 2014 Travel and Tickets' started by Santista, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Santista

Santista New Member

Club:
    Santos FC
    Brazil
    Hi all.

My name is Romário and I live in Belo Horizonte. The city will host six games in the next FIFA World Cup.

I am willing to serve as a taxi/guide for foreigners who come to Belo Horizonte to follow their national teams. I can take the visitors at the Tancredo Neves Airport (Confins) and take them to the hotel. So, I will be available to take them to attractions of the region, bars or restaurants and the stadium to watch the match.

It's a good alternative for those who want to escape the high prices that will be charged in all Brazil during the tournament.

If anybody is interested in having my "services", please send a message to me and then I will give you more information.

Thanks for your attention,

Romário

2. thunder83

thunder83 Member

Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hello Romario!

Me and my Swedish friend will stay in BH 13/6-10/7 and need to rent a place. Preferable an apartment. Where do we start to look?

Cheers!

3. Santista

Santista New Member

Club:
    Santos FC
    Brazil
    Hi Thunder!

Are you coming to watch the matches or do something else? I'm asking this to know the best locations according to yours intentions. So I can filter far places.

:thumbsup:

4. UrNumbrOneCrush

UrNumbrOneCrush Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    United States
    Im coming for the Colombia vs Greece match. I expect to arrive June 13 and then fly to Natal on June 15th. Where do you recommend I stay? 4 of us traveling. Average age = 30.

Santista repped this.

5. Santista

Santista New Member

Club:
    Santos FC
    Brazil
    Hi Number One!

What are you planning to do during the period that will be in Belo Horizonte? We have some new hotels here and in nearest small cities. Belo Horizonte is a good city but there is predictions of manifestations during the World Cup. I recommend our visitors to stay in hotels nearest the stadium or nearest the Airport.

6. db1709

db1709 Member

Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    What manifestations? Protests????

I'm spending the most time in BH, about 11 nights all up spread across different times, In hostels near the city centre.

Is it more/less safe compared to Rio and Sao Paulo???

7. Santista

Santista New Member

Club:
    Santos FC
    Brazil
    Manifestations against the tournament and the politicians are predicted for all Brazil during the World Cup as occurred in Confederations Cup. The manifestations in Belo Horizonte begin and end in the city center. I really recommend to avoid this area. I did not hear anything about violence against tourists, but there is a tense atmosphere. In nearest cities we have manifestations too, but in lower scale.

I believe that Belo Horizonte is safer than Rio and São Paulo.

8. db1709

db1709 Member

Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Eh this trip is turning into a headache....

9. itllgrowback

itllgrowback Member

Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Germany
    I'm staying in Belo Horizonte from the morning of the 22nd through the evening of the 29th - though I'll be in Recife for two nights on the 25th and 26th.

I found a small apartment to rent in the city center through Airbnb. I have some friends who live in BH and they told me that I should be fine, but just to be aware of petty crime at night. I will watch out for demonstrations and will try not to look too obviously foreign.

I did some looking and found that the Fan Zone (where all the matches will be broadcast, etc) will be at the Praça da Estação east of downtown, and here's a map showing that location, as well as the stadium and the International Airport, to give you an idea of proximities if you haven't already looked.

http://goo.gl/tyz9LS

10. thunder83

thunder83 Member

Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hi, we have got ticket to 5 games in BH. And are travelling to SP and RIO for a few games there hopefully but would be easisest to set up base in BH and rent something for the whole period.

Oskar

11. shermanator12290

shermanator12290 Member

Club:
    FC Bayern München
    United States
    Hey Romário!

I'm Goeff.. A friend of mine and I will be in Belo from june 27-29.. Do you think you show us around?? That would be awesome. We have no idea what there is to do or where to go in belo horizonte. It would be great to have someone to help us out! We are rooting for Brazil to play there in the round of 16!

Thanks!

Geoff

12. Fabian123

Fabian123 New Member

Hi romaico, I will be in oro preto, hotel in belohorizonte are very expensive, do you have taxi service for this Zone? We arrived on june 13 th

UrNumbrOneCrush repped this.
  13. jimpinetree

jimpinetree Member

Do you mean Ouro Preto the neighborhood in Belo Horizonte? Or Ouro Preto the town?

Ouro Preto the neighborhood is really close to the stadium and likely walking distance from most places. Ouro Preto the town is 90 km away and likely very expensive to use a taxi.

14. djcuse

djcuse Member

Club:
    Toronto FC
    I will be flying in and out of Belo on June 24th, arriving from Recife with all my luggage in the morning, attending the England game, and then fly to Rio later that night. I was wondering if the Airport in Belo has storage lockers where I could store my luggage for the day??

UrNumbrOneCrush repped this.
  15. jimpinetree

jimpinetree Member

They do, though just how busy they will be could be a concern.

And for the record, I don't check here very often, but if anyone has any other concerns or questions about Belo Horizonte, please feel free to ask me. I currently live in the US but will be in Brazil for the duration of the cup, staying at my mother's house, which is literally 2 blocks from the stadium. My wife will be even working in the stadium during the event.

16. Fabian123

Fabian123 New Member

Hi It is ouro Preto the town, what is the best and cheaper way to arrive?, we did not find cheaper hotels in belohorizonte, and our flight arrives at 10 pm.

17. jimpinetree

jimpinetree Member

Honestly, I think it is a very bad idea to stay in Ouro Preto for the world cup.

It is very far from the stadium. Not only is the town about 90 km from Belo Horizonte, but you will then have to cross the entire city, since the exit to Ouro Preto is on the south side of Belo Horizonte and the stadium in the north.

Without traffic and in the best road conditions, it would take you 1 hour and 40 minutes to go from Ouro Preto to Mineirao. Add in game day traffic, parking, etc and it will very likely take you close to 2 and a half hours.

If you take a taxi from Ouro Preto to Mineirao, it will cost you at least $250 reais (if you are really good at negotiating), which is about 110 US dollars. And that is each way. An alternative would be to take a bus from ouro preto to belo horizonte, and then a cab from the bus station to Mineirao. Even then, it would cost you at least 100-150 reais (45-70 US dollars), and, what is worse, it would probably take at least 4 hours each way.

Cheapest solution would be to probably rent a car, but I must warn you that the highway between Belo Horizonte and Ouro Preto can be tricky, since a substantial part of it is winding roads through the mountains with heavy truck traffic.

18. Fabian123

Fabian123 New Member

Thanks I have already cancel my accommodation in Ouro preto, and i have booked my hotel in fifa.com in belohorizonte,more expensive,however if it cost to move each way 110 us dollar,i prefer to pay for the extra costs. Thanks Again

fifa prices are the cheaper now.

19. Kalifornia

Kalifornia Member

Oskar,
    If you can't find something at a decent price, please let me know. My wife is from the BH area and we have friends there. We know the city and its surroundings pretty well too. We won't be in Brazil for the WC to my biggest regret since it's too expensive to travel there for me and my family. We have an apartment there too though we haven't made any plans to rent it yet since we just took delivery and it's not furnished yet. Message me if you have questions. Where in Sweden are you based out of?

20. Kalifornia

Kalifornia Member

Good move…! Glad you followed jimpinetree advice. He forgot to mention the huge potholes in the roads between Ouro Preto and BH :) On the other hand, Ouro Preto is a beautiful city and everybody should definitely go visit.

21. UrNumbrOneCrush

UrNumbrOneCrush Member

Club:
    FC Barcelona
    United States
    Hey Kalifornia.
    Just booked my flight to Belo last night from Austin. Best $5 I ever spent (AA miles for the win!). Was wondering where would be a good place to stay. We are NOT planning to rent a car. Will be there june 13-15 for Colombias eagerly awaited return to the Cup and june 27-29 for the R16 match. As you can imagine our time there is very limited. any advice on good areas as well as areas to avoid would be fantastic. I was looking at places on Airbnb but they seem to be scattered all over the city. Help and thanks in advance!

22. jimpinetree

jimpinetree Member

This is a tough question to answer, because Belo Horizonte, like many cities in Brazil, will have good areas and bad areas right next to each other. If you are staying there for just a short amount of time, and as such won't be doing too much sight seeing, I'd recommend something on the north side of town. Perhaps even close to the airport. Most hotels are downtown or in the south part of town, and that can occasionally make game day traffic very bad. Especially so if there are protests of a similar magnitude as last year. Coming from the north to the stadium should be preferable.

As for specific neighborhoods, it is probably best if you ask about the ones that you are considering, either in thread or via PM.

23. Rafael Mayrink

Rafael Mayrink New Member

Club:
    Atletico Belo Horizonte
    Hi everybody,

I´m from BH and I always lived here. I think I have good information for you tourists:

When u arrive at the airport, You can get a bus to do to downtown. The name of the bus company is Conexão Aeroporto (Airport Connection) and the price is R$26,00 or US$12,00. The final station is at Alvares Cabral Avenue (Lourdes neighborhood and close to Centre of the city).

I recomend u to stay at Savassi or Lourdes neighborhood. Or closer as possible of Praça da Liberdade (Liberdade Square). I don´t think hotels next to the airport are good idea, because it´s far from the stadium and far from the good places of the city. Other good locations: Pampulha (neighborhood of the stadium), Sion, Centre (some locations there can be dangerous), Cidade Nova (The most famous hotel of the city, Ouro Minas Hotel is there and there are more new hotels there.), São Pedro (there are hostels like Che Lagarto there).

Savassi and Lourdes are central, safe and have many bars, hotels and restaurants. U´ll also find many options of buses to go to stadium. There will be free buses to Mineirão during the game days and the Main bus station is at the Praça da Estação (Station Square) in the centre of the city. This is also the official place of the Fifa Fan Zone.

Good places to go: Mercado Central (Central Market): It is located in the centre next to Lourdes neighborhood. Tipical food, cachaças, gifts.

Inhotim Musium: It is far from the city but is amazing. U´ll spend one entire day there. It is hugee.

Praça do Papa: best view of the city.

Pampulha Lake: Next to stadium, it is very beautiful. There are museus and bars around the lake. Good option.

Ouro Preto and Serra do Cipó: Diferent places to people who have more days, these are far places, but very very beautiful. Serra do Cipo is a place with waterfalls, trekking options and adventure. Ouro Preto is a historic city with many churches and musiums.

Places to meet beautiful girls: Girls fom BH are considered the most beautiful of Brazil and there are good places to meet them:

Observatorio: Tuesdays and Fridays. About US$15,00 do get in. Sertanejo music(brazilian country music)

Lord Rock Bar, Jack Rock Bar and Circus Rock Bar: About US$12,00 to get in. Rock´n roll. Thurdays, fridays, saturdays and sundays. Three good places .

Swingers Lounge: US$35,00 to get in. All kind of music. Fridays and Saturday

It is not safe to go out by bus. The main option is taxi!!!

Well, I´ll go to 5 games here and I can help you if u need anything or information.

24. jimpinetree

jimpinetree Member

Lourdes and Savassi are great for people who will be staying a bit longer. My point about hotels to the north side, or even close to the airport, was for the person who was just going to fly in one day and out the next for the Colombia game.

25. shermanator12290

shermanator12290 Member

Club:
    FC Bayern München
    United States
    Great Info Rafael! Obrigado! I'll be in town with my friend from the 27th -29th of June! PM me if you are interested in grabbing a cerveja or something!